2009-01-18

Train Stations and more Wandering

I awoke to light snow flurries falling through the frigid -4˚C air. Flakes stuck to the tile roof out the window and the cars parked along the narrow streets. I had a quick breakfast of rolls and strawberry jam, then began putting on the layers. Thermal undies, pants, shirt, wool socks, beanie, hoodie, thick jacket, shoes, gloves. Pockets: keys, wallet, ipod. Good to go. The cold greats me as I open the door and descend the stairs. Out the gate and then the main door of the apartment, I wait long enough to hear the click of the door locked shut before pressing play. I head towards Jósef körút (Joseph Boulevard) to Rákóczi ut towards Keleti Train station. Keleti Station is quite impressive, it's size allows it to be seen from ways down Rákóczi ut. More constrution is going on in Baross square in front of the station, a new metro line (#4) from what I could figure out. Inside, it takes me a while to find the international ticket counters. The teller spoke enough english for me to purchase a ticket to Würzburg; A night train to Munich, and then a faster Intercity Express train from Munich to the Wü. Thursday morning, I'll be hanging with Robert. All good. Also learned about special deals from Budapest for future travels...I returned home slowly, again letting curiousity lead me. I found one of the large open markets of Budapest just behind the constrution at Rákóczi park. Hopefully it will be open tomorrow...I'm eager to discover local produce! I had great dinner at a cafe around the corner, a goat cheese and fried zucchi dish with seasoned potato wedges, DELICIOUS! I also discoverd that the Frank Zappa Cafe is also extreamly close to my apartment ( http://www.zappacaffe.hu/ ). Totally awesome. I will have to try that someday soon. Final note: I made a flickr set to share more pictures. Looking forward to more awesome adventures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment