2009-01-17

Budapest - First Impressions

Tonight I found myself out wandering the streets, beginning to figure this city out. I took a map, but mostly just let my curiosity guide me. As the small vein streets turned into larger arteries, I found the heart of the city: The mighty river Danube with majestic Buda Castle towering above. Letting my feet take me where they wanted, I continued across Széchenyi lánchíd, the robust chain bridge, passing stone lions that guard each end. Stone Lions don't seem to defer graffiti. I guess the city figures not many tourist come in the winter and let apperances slip...we'll see if it changes as the weather warms up. Ice floated along the river currents and gulls swooped overhead as traffic zoomed by.
Returning home allowed more practice in navigating the streets. Street signs are not too popular, most of them are hiding on a building near the intersection. The major streets glimmer with street lights, neon, advertisements, headlights. The minor streets, like mine are dark and quite.It's growing on me. Tonight's little adventure gave me lots to look forward to in living here. I stopped in the 24 hour shop on the corner to buy some strawberry jam for my rolls, and then climbed the flights of stairs to the apartment. I'll finish up by sharing a few pictures of the apartment and the awesome light switches. Oh, and I found an ATM that works. Tomorrow's goals: navigate my way to the train station and buy tickets to Germany to see Robert.
Inside the apartment looking into the bedroom
Awesome light switch!

2 comments:

Erin Rebecca said...

Oh Thomas, it's beautiful!
I'm entirely jealous, but I'm so excited to watch your trip unfold via my computer screen.
Miss you alreaady!

Unknown said...

Awesome!!

Post a Comment