2009-03-12

Jogexploration!

With the weather here in Budapest starting to warm up enough to enjoy being outside, I feel more and more pent up inside the apartment during the day. I still haven't found a bike yet (perhaps I'll work on that more this weekend), so I've decided to pick up this alternative the people do to get around and exercise: jogging. Today I went down to Margit Island to check out Budapest's Exercising Hot Spot. A 5 km (hey look, I can use the metric system) track runs the perimeter of the island, the kind of track made of that nice spongy paving. Transversing the island counterclockwise (positive K direction, as we would say in my current math class) the Duna runs on your right, the parks of the island to your left. The result is an enjoyable little run on a sunny, early March afternoon.

Best sights I saw on the jog:
-Kayakers paddling up and down the river along the bank of the island, I want to do that one day!
-Families pedaling around the island in Bicycle cars, rentals I'm guessing, another thing I need to look into.
-Old Roman Ruins (I'll go back for some pictures)
-A ZOO! I saw some storks and other large birds
-The gigantic Gothic Parliament building spiking the riverside skyline, glowing in the low afternoon sun rays (need pictures of this too)
-The beautiful angel bust sculptures on the pillars of Margit Bridge
-Being in the middle of the Duna with the two sides of the city stretching out and the sunlight illuminating it all

I promise to return on another sunny afternoon, Camera equipped, to share the awesomeness with you. At the end of my jog, I descended a staircase to the bank and sat relaxing in the sun. The river has risen in height since my first arrival in January. Last week you could still see some of the rock banks, now the water level is halfway up the river walls. I'm looking forward to the weather continuing to improve and making new explorations in this crazy place!

1 comment:

BASA said...

Pictures are great, but your words tell me more

Post a Comment